Question: Photos in the school, do I need a model release?

Many of my clients are martial arts school owners, but this question about model releases can apply to almost any situation.

I’m taking some photos in my school and want to use them on my web site. Do I need any one to sign a model release?

If you are simply covering a public event, then usually no. Events that are of a journalistic nature usually don’t. If however you intend to use these photos in any way that can be seen as an invasion of privacy, or for commercial gain, or use on a commercial website, then you should have all those show sign a model release form. This can be done by including a simple release clause in your organizational paperwork, or a stand alone release as shown below.  Please keep in mind that this is a simplified answer and for a more in depth answer you should consult with an attorney who is familiar with copyright law in your country.

A simple, sample release:
I ________________ Hereby grant all rights to (PHOTOGRAPHER) to sell or publish any photographs taken of the following subjects today. This permission is permanent, and I claim no future compensation.
Fill in all applicable.

Minor: ____________________________

Property: _________________________

Signature: ________________________ Date: ______________

A discussion of this and some other related points is available on MartialTalk.

For a very in-depth look at releases, I can not suggest Dan Heller strongly enough.